Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dorothy's Dishcloths

The first christmas after leaving home for the big city, my great aunt Dorothy, gave me hand knit dishcloths for my new flat. At the time I sarcastically thought, great dishcloths-just what i wanted-NOT and chucked it up to yet another relative not knowing me well enough to buy me a decent gift. I was at the time naive of the powers of knitting.

Since then, eight years ago, Aunt Dorothy has passed away and the knitting bug has taken over me. I believe she was the only lady in our family who knew how to knit. As her sister in law, my maternal grandmother's passion was quilting. I am not even sure how or by whom Aunt Dottie learned to knit. I do indeed still use the dishcloths my Aunt Dorothy gave me oh so many years ago and the other week, while washing up I noticed that they are starting to fray. So started the quest to knit up some new dishcloths. I found a very similar pattern to the one Aunt Dorothy knitted at this site here, as well as a few other patterns that interested me.

I kind of feel sad now that I never got the chance to share our love of knitting with my great aunt. Perhaps someway somehow I am carrying on her legacy of knitting. I like to think so.

Original dishcloths...



2007 version.....



Dishcloths made so far, top two are copies of Aunt Dorothy's .....



What was happening below the photoshoot....

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Love the dishcloths.

oh, by the way, you've been tagged. Details on my blog.

Carla said...

I hear ya. I had a dear elderly aunt who used to knit for me when I was little, and I only figured out how great handknits are years after she died.