Thursday, May 01, 2008

Ta Da!

Remember this post?

The one where Debbie sent me a pair of beautiful socks she made, that I couldn't get on my feet because the bind off was too tight? Where almost 8 months ago I promised to fix and then show them off. Well they got left in the bottom of my knitting basket. Forgotten about after two failed attempts trying to bind off using sightly larger needles.

At the Kitchener Waterloo Fair last fall, I lamented to Sandi, Jacquie, and Lisa about my sock dilemma. Lisa mentioned a sewn cast off that might help. I believe Jacquie, may have used it on her first pair of toe up socks she was working on at the time, however I am not 100% certain on that fact. Anyways, I googled the information when I got home and saved it in my knitting reference bookmarks folder.

Fast forward to last week, when the first mate to the pair of toe up socks I am working on, for Frost, wouldn't fit over my ankle, let alone his, when I bound off the bugger. This provoked me enough to look up the sewn cast off method again. I am thrilled to report I used Knitty's Techniques with Theresa as a guide. It's about three quarters of the way down the page titled Elizabeth Zimmermann's Sewn Bind Off

And look-

-a perfect fit.


Carla said...

We get by the a little help from our friends! Nice socks.

LadyLungDoc said...

Good memory - Jacquie did use that bind off for The Socks of Knowledge.

Opal said...

Lovely socks. I love the contrasting heels and toes and the color!