Sunday, May 24, 2009

New Sweater on the Needles

Well almost.

I swatched last night with the new yarn I got from my lys.
I picked up 7 skeins of Tanis Fiber Arts Green Label Aran Weight yarn in Garnet.
Garnet is not a colour I normally would pick, I usually stick to greens, pinks and blues, but there was something about that colour that I was drawn too.

Anyways, the pattern I finally chose was Amused, in the winter 2008 issue of Knitty.
The gauge on the pattern calls for 16 sts and 24 rows for 4 inches with 5.5mm needles.
I prefer 5.0mm needles at the moment, and surprise surprise got gauge with them. YAY!

I started the crochet cast on last night, got about 20 stitches or so on the needles, and then put it away for the night.

If I manage to get the rest of the cast on onto the needles later today, I plan on using 2 balls of yarn at once. Ball A for the first two rows, ball B next two rows, ball A following two rows, ball B next two rows, repeat for entire project. As I am using hand dyed yarn, if there is slight differences in the dye per skein of yarn I don't want that showing up in the finished garment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up to Garnet. I love that color. I can't wait to see it!

Sherri said...

Hey - that's the colour I'm using for February Lady - that must mean that I have good taste if you like it too!

Team Knit said...

I love garnet, it can be a really wearable colour. And hey, it's always good to branch out, right?! That Amused pullover is so pretty. Great choice.

- Julie