It has been a while since I picked up a hook. Since making the dress last year, I have only managed to crochet a bunch of granny squares. Three of them were 8 by 8 inch squares for various blanket contributions. Another 16 squares I made, in yet again a horridly awful colour choice on my part. An orange bernat variegated colourway yarn. I had wiped them up within a few days and was going to make a handbag with them, however, while weaving in the ends, I came to my senses, and they became dish clothes instead.
So just what did I start Sunday and worked on all day yesterday, avoiding a great knitted shawl pattern? Well while I was trolling ravelry early sunday morning, I found a fellow knitter who, with three balls of noro kureyon sock yarn, had made one generously sized granny square lap blanket. Final size 36 by 36 inches. I knew I had three balls of noro kureyon sock yarn upstairs in my stash of another colourway. I even have some leftover noro sock yarn from the "until the end of days wrap" that I can use if I want to make it just a tad bigger.
I had started using the second colourway of noro sock yarn I had in my stash, to make a Revontuli -huivi/Northern Lights shawl. However, when I looked at my ravelry project page, and saw that the revolntuli shawl had been hibernating since the end of last August, I knew it wasn't meant to be. As well, I was only about three inches into making the shawl, so it was very easy to justify ripping out. Plus I have been on such a triangular shawl bender as of late, that I have my last two currently on the needles and then that's it for a while. Of course I couldn't remember how to do any of the stitches, so had to take a quick refresher course with my Happy Hooker book by Debbie Stoller.
Et voila, my progress so far on the blanket. The colours are a throwback to the '70's granny squares blankets and I love it.